The National Grocers Association presented five awards over the weekend for service to the independent grocery sector and the association.
The awards and winners were as follows:
• The Thomas K. Zaucha Entrepreneurial Excellence Award — which NGA said is the most prestigious honor an independent grocer can receive — was given to Kevin Doris, president and CEO of Gerland Corp., Houston, for his "persistence, vision and creative entrepreneurship." (See separate story.) 
• The Clarence G. Adamy Great American Award was given to Trygve Solberg, chairman of T.A. Solberg Co., Stevens Point, Wis., operators of five stores in northern Wisconsin. The award — named for the late president of the National Association of Food Chains— is given for distinguished public affairs. It has been awarded only 21 times since its inception in 1982.
Solberg, who is chairman of the NGA Grocers PAC, which he helped launch in 2011, was cited for being "a strong advocate for NGA and independent grocers … [who] truly understands the importance of building strong relationships with public-policy makers."
• The Women Grocers of America gave its Woman of the Year Award to Tammy Bailey, president and co-owner of Bailey's IGA, Rochester, Wash. Bailey was cited for exemplifying "the true characteristics of a leader, with passion for the independent grocery industry" and for being "a visionary and strategic thinker … [with] the perseverance to face almost any challenge presented to her."
• The Spirit of America Award went to Jim Rogers, who recently retired after 26 years as president and CEO of the Food Industry Alliance of New York. The award honors key industry and community figures who have provided leadership in the areas of community service and government relations on behalf of the independent food distribution system.
• The Thomas F. Wenning Pinnacle PAC Award was given to Wenning, who plans to retire at the end of 2013 as EVP and general counsel of NGA after 32 years with the association. The award, established this year, will be presented to an NGA member who helps advance the role and presence of the independent grocer and NGA in government and political affairs.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|