The American Council for Fitness and Nutrition and its members believe in the following guiding principles:
cious balancing of physical activity and nutrition tailored to meet each individual's needs, preferences and lifestyle.
2. Learning how to maintain a healthy weight for optimal health and wellness throughout life is a fundamental educational objective for each individual and for the nation.
3. Helping people learn how to maintain a healthy weight is a responsibility shared by all sectors of society that affect an individual's knowledge, awareness and behavior in balancing physical activity and nutrition.
4. Providing children, parents and families the information and tools to develop life skills in maintaining a healthy weight through the proper balance of fitness and nutrition is a national priority.
5. Educating children to develop good habits early by incorporating physical activity and balanced eating choices into their daily lives is key to maintaining a healthy weight for optimal health.
6. Informing and educating consumers, especially parents and their children, how to meet their individual needs, tastes and preferences through the proper balance of fitness and nutrition empowers consumers to maintain a healthy weight.
7. Identifying, evaluating and adequately funding effective, science-based, culturally appropriate fitness and nutrition education programs should be accomplished through public-private partnerships to extend resources, reach and impact.
8. Providing employees of member organizations with fitness and nutrition education, as well as resources to engage their communities, will enable individuals to maintain a healthy weight.
9. Researching, developing and marketing healthful products that demonstrate our commitment to supporting individuals exercising personal choice in balancing fitness and nutrition.
10. Addressing the health disparities among regional, ethnic and economically disadvantaged groups requires working with these groups to develop science-based, culturally appropriate fitness and nutrition education materials.