What does it take to be on the leading edge in bakery and deli?
ted stores nominated by industry peers for 1994 Leading Edge awards in bakery and deli based on nine key success factors:
1. Innovation. Is the bakery or deli department on the leading edge of innovation in terms of products, services, packaging, technology and presentation? Is the retailer willing to take risks?
2. Signature items. Has the retailer developed unique food items that cannot be found anywhere else?
3. Freshness. Does the department have fresh products, and does it demonstrate that fact clearly?
4. Quality. Are top-quality ingredients being used?
5. Variety. Does the department offer customers acceptable choices? Is there enough change built into the mix to keep customers interested?
6. Animation and interaction. Does the store involve customers? Are preparation and baking processes visible? Does the store use sampling and product demonstrations?
7. People. Do staffers have a high level of knowledge about the products they are selling? What is the degree of interaction with customers? 8. Presentation and packaging. What is unique about the overall design of the department, the fixtures, the packaging, the ambience?
9. Health and nutrition. Does the department demonstrate a sensitivity to health and nutrition trends?