U.S. EXHIBITORS SET FOR SIAL MONTREAL

MONTREAL -- The United States will join at least 10 other countries in sponsoring a pavilion at SIAL Montreal, April 13 to 15. acquire an additional 1,200 square feet. Jim Warden, deputy director, AgExport Services Division, FAS, USDA in Washington, said in a statement, "We fully expect a very large growth in the size of the U.S. Pavilion at the upcoming SIAL Montreal, and would highly recommend this

MONTREAL -- The United States will join at least 10 other countries in sponsoring a pavilion at SIAL Montreal, April 13 to 15.

acquire an additional 1,200 square feet. Jim Warden, deputy director, AgExport Services Division, FAS, USDA in Washington, said in a statement, "We fully expect a very large growth in the size of the U.S. Pavilion at the upcoming SIAL Montreal, and would highly recommend this show to food buyers and sellers."

Alain Bellefeuille, general director of SIAL Montreal, said, "For U.S.-based companies, ample choice of international quality products and exceptional suppliers is but a visit next door." In 2003, 62% of exhibitors were from the United States, Mexico and Canada, while the remaining 38% came from 34 other countries.

Other countries hosting national pavilions include Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Jamaica, Morocco, Spain and Tunisia.

According to trade show organizers, this year's third edition of SIAL Montreal is expected to draw 735 exhibitors from 40 countries and about 14,200 visitors from 80 countries to the Palais des Congres here. Total exhibit space is projected at 200,000 square feet.

In 2003, 693 exhibitors and 13,345 visitors from 77 countries attended the event. It is estimated that the last edition generated more than $410 million (CN$500 million) in commercial trade among those who participated.

The Gourmet Europe pavilion, comprising 40 exhibitors organized by federations of the European food manufacturing sector (ANIA in France, FIAB in Spain, FIPA in Portugal and Federalimentare in Italy), will be a first-time pavilion to promote Mediterranean gourmet products.

SIAL officials said the exhibition area will be revamped for greater visibility and more effective use of space to make it easier for visitors to shop the show.

The "Espace Innovations" showcase, located at the center of the exhibition, will spotlight new, trendy and innovative products in food and beverages.

The show, one of four exhibitions, is part of the SIAL group of shows produced by Paris-based Exposium. The largest one is held in Paris.

More information on the show is available through the organization's Web site, www.sialmontreal.com.