During the past several years, packaging has played a growing role in produce category innovation. Packaging manufacturers are working to help with a variety of key issues facing the produce industry today—such as food safety, traceability, sustainability or convenience—and PMA’s annual Impact Award  was launched two years ago to honor those suppliers that lead the field with new innovations.
This year’s winners were:
• environment/sustainability: Earthbound Farm for Earthbound Farm Clamshell Packages: 5 oz., 11 oz., 1 lb., & 2 lb.
• food safety/traceability: Yottamark Inc. for MICROBAKER Traceable Labels
• functionality/technology: Clear Lam Packaging, Inc. & Taylor Farms, Inc. for Taylor Fresh Bag Plus
• marketing design: The Oppenheimer Group & ZESPRI for Kiwi Snack Pack
• marketing messaging/content: Stemilt Growers, Inc. for Fresh, Flavorful & Family-Farmed Cherry Display Bin
• supply chain efficiencies: IFCO Systems for Reusable Plastic Containers (RPCs)