SEATTLE — Retailers and suppliers have the potential to collaborate on several areas related to sustainability , according to a report from McKinsey & Co. that was released at an industry sustainability conference last month.
The report, called “Looking Around the Corner on Sustainability in Retail and CPG,” by Steven Swartz, partner, McKinsey & Co., was presented at the 2013 Global Sustainability Summit, sponsored by the Food Marketing Institute/Grocery Manufacturers Association Trading Partner Alliance.
SN WHOLE HEALTH
Whole Health is a quarterly special report by Supermarket News examining news and trends in health and wellness.
IN THIS ISSUE:
• Pressure Rising: Importing Organic Feed From China 
The report outlined three “major enablers” of excellence in company’s sustainability initiatives:
1. Understanding the financial benefits of sustainability — Companies need to create an understanding of the long-term materiality of sustainability to the business.
2. Effective goal-setting — Companies need to focus on the few key sustainability areas with qualitative, long-term goals that are material to the business.
3. Performance management and accountability — Sustainability goals can be translated into KPIs (key performance indicators) and cascaded down through the organization.
The report included results from a poll of retailers, CPG companies/food manufacturers, consultants, associations and others. About 21% of respondents were retailers and 23% were CPG companies or food manufacturers. Most worked either in the sustainability/CSR (corporate social responsibility) functions — 44% of respondents — or were senior management (22%).
Among the findings, 48% of respondents said the pressure of short-term earnings performance is at odds with sustainability initiatives. In addition, 44% said that resources made available for sustainability initiatives are insufficient.
“Without understanding of financial value, it is very hard to obtain sufficient resources and long-term commitment to sustainability,” the report concluded.
The report found that the No. 1 reason that participants cited for their inability to capture full value of sustainability was a lack of incentives tied to sustainability performance.
In addition, nearly 40% of respondents said that not enough people are accountable for sustainability at their company.
While 63% of respondents said they use sustainability-related KPIs to track progress, only 15% reported that sustainability KPIs were linked to employee financial compensation.
The report also found opportunities for collaboration on several regulatory/legislative issues, including agricultural labor conditions, animal rights/welfare, and antibiotics in meat.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|