United Fresh Produce Association will celebrate the winners of the Retail Produce Manager award on June 11 during a gala at the group’s annual conference.
The managers are recognized for their excellence in customer service, merchandising and promotion, community service and peer recognition.
The winners receive free room and board to the conference, and five grand-prize winners will receive $1,000.
The 35 managers come from retailers in 20 different states, according to United Fresh.
The Produce Celebration Gala, which will also celebrate Produce Excellence in Foodservice Awards, will be held at the Hilton Chicago.
“There is no better opportunity to network with our industry’s most innovative retail managers than to come to United Fresh 2014,” said United Fresh CEO Tom Stenzel in a media statement.
“Join us in Chicago to meet these industry trendsetters and share ideas about growing consumption for fresh produce.”
This is the 10th anniversary of the program and United Fresh said that 230 produce managers from 80 different banners have received awards.
United Fresh said it has received 2,000 nominations for the award over the 10 years of the program.
Ready Pac has sponsored the award since it was created.
The 2014 award winners, arranged by retailer, are:
Follow @SN_News for updates throughout the day.
- A&P, Yorktown, N.Y., Sal Gentile
- Albertsons, Lemon Grove, Calif., Bob Beaudoin
- Arteaga’s Food Center, Gilroy, Calif., Gustavo Agillon
- Big Y Foods, Northampton, Mass., Gina Wasilefsky
- Brookshire Grocery Co., Lindale, Texas, Justin Warner
- Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Abingdon, Va., Randy Sheets
- Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Kingsport, Tenn., Brent Harkleroad
- Food Maxx/Save Mart Super- markets, Brentwood, Calif., Larry Aledo
- Fry’s Food & Drug Stores, Phoenix, Jeff Haines
- Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Charlotte, N.C., Mike Willis
- Hy-Vee, Iowa City, Iowa, Dan Atkinson
- Hy-Vee, Lincoln, Neb., Joe Gapp
- Jewel-Osco, Park Ridge, Ill., Dan Fabris
- Kings Food Markets, Living- ston, N.J., John Spellman
- Kroger Co., Dayton, Ohio, Gina Johnson
- Los Angeles AFB Commissary, Los Angeles, Robert Tanaka
- McClellan Commissary, Mc- Clellan, Calif., Michele Parks
- Meijer Inc., Grand Haven, Mich., Douglas DeWitte
- Metcalfe’s Market, Wauwatosa, Wis., Dick Rose
- MOM’s Organic Market, Alexandria, Va., Kendall Lopez-Buitrago
- Northgate González Markets, Barrio Logan, Calif, Abel Meza
- Oak Point Fresh Market, Watson, La., Derek Sibley
- Payson Market Place, Payson, Utah, Garrett Fowden
- Price Chopper/Golub Corp., Lenox, Mass., Bill Denault
- Quality Food Centers, Bellevue, Wash., Darin Eversaul
- Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Oakley, Calif., Luis Huerta
- Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Turlock, Calif., Steve Mendes
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Appleton, Wis., Crystal Scherer
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Steven’s Point, Wis., Alice Firkus
- Safeway Stores, Marysville, Wash., Jason Mooring
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Truckee, Calif., Patty Patino
- ShopRite, Medford, N.J., Bill Logan, Jr.
- Tops Markets, Grand Island, N.Y., Mike Bawol
- Wal-Mart Stores, Fayette- ville, Ark., Kenny Hackman
- Weis Markets, Fogelsville, Pa., Jake Wittman
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|