Okay… so spring is here, prices are continuing to rise, wellness is "in" (or so they say) and here we are in the right place at the right time! What do you say? Think about who we are and what we represent! A supermarket is a community setting with in-house expertise on saving money, buying with health in mind, and keeping quality at the top when it comes to eating.
Our registered dietitians and consumer affairs staff and chefs, as well as our seasoned buyers, are primed to be at the top of our game. We should be screaming out our message. Yes, we are living in a time when money is tight, but think about the quality, variety and great nutrition we offer! Here are some ideas for taking it to the aisles:
• Feature locally grown with gusto as the new crops begin to appear.
• Provide tips on using and storing all foods. This may be a time to do some front-line staff training!
• Offer store tours that feature “green” products and highlight your efforts to recycle and go green.
• Put soy to the taste test with edamame, soy beverages and ideas for using tofu.
• Add some new recipes and tips to the produce area that support the Dietary Guidelines 2010 suggestions for filling half your plate with fruits and veggies (with the emphasis on veggies).
• Talk up spring renewal and tie it to checking the use-by and best-by dates on all foods in the refrigerator and pantry…. and create a shopping list to help customers remember that spring cleaning can start in the kitchen.