Grocery store chefs will again demonstrate their culinary chops at the Supermarket Chef Showdown on the FMI Connect expo floor in Chicago on June 10. The chefs will compete in one of five categories — breakfast to go, holiday party platter, affordable family meals, ethnic dishes and dessert.
The 15 finalists are:
• Dayton Carroll from Hy-Vee in Keokuk, Iowa
• Keoni Chang from Foodland Super Markets, in Kaneohe, Hawaii
• Yolanda Chatman from Kroger Co. in Sugar Hill, Ga.
• Elizabeth Davis from Hy-Vee in Davenport, Iowa
• Timothy Donnelly from Publix Super Markets in Lakeland, Fla.
• Brian Dunn from Roche Bros. Supermarkets in Wellesley Hills, Mass.
• Amy Gleason from Hy-Vee in Omaha, Neb.
• Alois Maierhofer from Giant Eagle Supermarket in Pittsburgh
• Dustin Miller from Giant Eagle Market District in Pittsburgh
• Jason Miller from Balducci’s Food Markets in Rockville, Md.
• Greg Retz from Bi-Lo in Jacksonville, Fla.
• Greg Roach from Wild Oats Market in Williamstown, Mass.
• Kirsten Shabaz from Valley Natural Foods in Burnsville, Minn.
• Glenn Terrell from Brookshire Grocery Co. in Tyler, Texas
• Bryan Williams from Rockbridge Hy-Vee in Columbia, Mo.
“FMI started this competition in 2012 to shine a spotlight on the culinary talents of the chefs who are driving the fresh-prepared food trends,” said Dagmar Farr, SVP of member services at the Food Marketing Institute, in a press release.
“And, we could not be more delighted by the record-breaking response from chefs. We received close to 300 recipes from 95 individual chefs across the nation. Without a doubt, the competition is tough. The dishes that the 15 finalists will prepare at the cook-off in Chicago are superb. Our judges will certainly have a difficult job!”
The category winners will receive a $1,000 prize and an overall “grand champion” will win a trip to the Italian Culinary Institute in Calabria, Italy. All the finalists received a paid trip to Chicago to compete at FMI Connect. The category winners will be announced in an awards ceremony at 11 a.m. on June 11.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarket News|