Hannaford Supermarkets has rolled out an enhanced tuition reimbursement program that provides higher and continuing education funding for both full- and part-time associates.
The “Groceries to Grads” tuition reimbursement program will offer employees up to $5,250 in tuition funds annually, Scarborough, Maine-based Hannaford said yesterday. The funding can be used at any accredited college or university, with additional tuition discounts available at partner universities within Hannaford’s network, including Husson University, the Roux Institute at Northeastern University, Thomas College, and the University of Southern Maine.
Full-time and salaried Hannaford employees will receive up to $5,250 in tuition reimbursement funds annually. Part-time associates who work a minimum of 10 hours per week are also eligible for up to $2,000 based on average hours worked. The funding is applicable to undergraduate and graduate courses, as well as certificate programs.
Hannaford’s tuition assistance offering follows an ongoing trend among grocery chains such as Publix Super Markets, Save A Lot and The Kroger Co., which introduced its tuition reimbursement program in 2018.
“We are committed to investing in our associates by creating pathways to opportunity and career growth,” Margo Peffer, vice president of human resources at Hannaford, said in a statement. “Our enhanced tuition reimbursement program will provide our associates with the support and flexibility they need to begin or continue their education and enhance their personal and professional future.”
Qualifying Hannaford associates will receive exclusive tuition discounts when enrolled at six partner colleges and universities in New England and New York, including the following:
• The College of Saint Rose in Albany, N.Y. (20% discount on undergraduate and graduate degree and certificate programs).
• Husson University in Bangor, Maine (15% discount on undergraduate and graduate courses; and 10% discount on pharmacy courses).
• The Roux Institute at Northeastern University in Portland, Maine (20% discount on graduate programs).
• Southern New Hampshire University in Manchester, N.H. (10% discount on online undergraduate and graduate courses for Hannaford associates and immediate family members).
• Thomas College in Waterville, Maine (10% discount on graduate and certificate courses with a free first course).
• University of Southern Maine in Portland, Maine (20% discount on professional development courses).
Also under the new program, Hannaford has partnered with the education benefits online platform Workforce Edge to aid in the process for submitting tuition reimbursement requests.
Part of Ahold Delhaize USA, Hannaford operates 184 stores in Maine, New York, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont, employing some 30,000 associates.