In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Publix being set to begin coronavirus vaccinations in Florida ranked as the week’s top story. Gov. Ron DeSantis announced the pilot with the Southeast grocer’s pharmacies. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- H-E-B and Hy-Vee kicked off COVID-19 vaccinations;
- ShopRites in New jersey were ready to go with the vaccine; and
- Placer.ai projected traditional grocers to be “2021 winners.”
In other news, Instacart tapped M&A/IPO specialist Nick Giovanni as chief financial officer; Trader Joe’s announced it will open a store in New York City’s Harlem in 2023; and Jewel-Osco tested a self-serve grocery pickup kiosk.
Other top stories:
- Ahold Delhaize wrapped up its FreshDirect acquisition;
- The same company’s RBS piloted UV disinfection robots; and
- A look at how supermarkets are capitalizing on demand for sliced meats during COVID even as fresh-made sandwiches take a hit.