In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, H-E-B scaling back operations in winter storm-ravaged Texas ranked as the week’s top story. Power and water outages forced temporary store closures and reduced hours. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- Walmart also temporarily closed hundreds of stores due to brutal winter storms;
- Publix offered a store gift card to employees receiving the COVID-19 vaccine; and
- Kroger’s QFC announced plans to close two Seattle stores, citing city hazard pay law.
In other news, Albertsons employees picked favorites in the Own Brands Associate Choice Awards. Target tapped Rick Gomez as food and beverage chief, with Christina Hennington moving to the new role of chief growth officer. And Ahold Delhaize’s omnichannel strategy paid off with a strong fiscal year.
Other top stories:
- Kroger bolstered COVID-19 vaccine scheduling amid surging demand;
- Walmart’s omnichannel game plan yielded a fiscal 2021 sales boost; and
- The Giant Company tapped Swisslog to automate its e-commerce fulfillment center.