In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, the top story was FreshDirect co-founder David McInerney stepping down as CEO. Among other stories featured in this week’s gallery:
- Costco sees April sales climb more than 30%
- Inside Raley’s newest O-N-E Market in Reno
- Albertsons refreshes own-brand Soleil sparkling water
Facing tough year-over-year comparisons from early pandemic panic-buying, Weis Markets saw sales growth fall off and net earnings decline in its fiscal 2021 first quarter.The regional grocer also announced that it is allocating $135 million for capital expenditures in 2021, bolstered by more than 16% net and comparable sales growth in fiscal 2020.
In Kroger news, retailer plans to sell an over-the-counter, rapid COVID-19 self-testing kit from health care products giant Abbott at its stores. Kroger also launched a pilot to deliver online grocery orders — to nearly any location — by autonomous drones.
Other top stories:
- Amazon’s physical store sales drop despite booming first quarter
- Stop & Shop, Publix, Hy-Vee go chainwide with COVID-19 vaccines