In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Gelson’s Markets being sold to Japanese retailer PPIH ranked as the week’s top story. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- Reasor’s rolled out the Sally salad robot to three stores;
- Amazon Go drew high interest from U.S. shoppers in a Piplsay poll; and
- Frozen food sales were up 21% in 2020, according to the American Frozen Food Institute and FMI — the Food Industry Association, as COVID altered shopping and eating behaviors.
In other news, Meijer was aiming to provide 17,000 COVID-19 shots last week in Indiana; Whole Foods Market made an entry into Wyoming; and the Senate confirmed Tom Vilsack as secretary of agriculture.
Other top stories:
- The Giant Company stepped up support of organic farming;
- H-E-B stepped up with $1 million in aid for Texas after the devastating winter storm; and
- Walgreens went national with Instacart delivery.