The SN Top 50 Retailers report is compiled in partnership between Supermarket News and research partner IGD, a leading UK-based analysis and insight organization for the food and consumer goods industry.
The following table includes the rankings of the Top 50 food and grocery retailers and wholesalers in the U.S. and Canada, including supermarkets, mass merchandisers, dollar stores, convenience stores and drugstores. Sales figures are based on reports from public retail companies and, in cases of privately owned companies, IGD estimates.
Below the table are footnotes that go into more details of those numbers including, where available, a more comprehensive breakdown of total sales, as well as any acquisitions and divestitures that may have had an impact on sales figures. Most reported sales figures are for the 2021 fiscal year; in some cases, late 2020 fiscal reporting is included depending on the timing of a company’s fiscal year-end.
Click here for the full analysis of the SN Top 50.
- Walmart sales for Walmart U.S. and Sam’s Club business units only (fiscal 2021, ended Jan. 31, 2021). Walmart U.S. sales totaled $369.96 billion, including $208.41 billion for grocery and $38.52 billion for health and wellness (pharmacy, OTC health care and optical/clinical services). Sam’s Club sales totaled $63.91 billion, including $42.15 billion for grocery and consumables; $7.84 billion for fuel, tobacco and related categories; and $3.79 billion for health and wellness (pharmacy, OTC health care and optical/clinical services). Walmart’s overall fiscal 2021 revenue (including Walmart U.S., Sam’s Club and Walmart International) was $559.15 billion. Store count includes 5,342 Walmart U.S. and Sam’s Club stores.
- Amazon totaled $236.28 billion in North America net sales for fiscal 2020 (ended Dec. 31, 2020). Physical-store sales were $16.23 billion, mainly driven by Whole Foods Markets but also including Amazon Fresh, Amazon Go Grocery, Amazon Go, Amazon Books stores, Amazon 4-Star and Amazon pop-up locations. Online store sales totaled $197.35 billion in fiscal 2020. The company doesn’t report product category sales figures.
- The Kroger Co. reported $11.39 billion in pharmacy sales for fiscal 2020 (ended Jan. 30, 2021), or 8.6% of its total net sales. Fuel sales totaled $9.49 billion, or 7.2% of fiscal 2020 net sales.
- Costco Wholesale Corp. figure reflects U.S. operations revenue of $122.14 billion for fiscal 2020 (ended Aug. 30, 2020) . Of that total, $68.66 billion was food and sundries, $23.2 billion was fresh foods, $27.73 billion was hardlines (including major appliances, electronics, health and beauty aids, hardware and garden/patio), $17.08 billion was softlines (apparel and small appliances) and $26.55 billion was ancillary services (fuel and pharmacy). Costco’s overall net sales for fiscal 2020 (including U.S., Canada and international) totaled $163.22 billion.
- Walgreens Boots Alliance sales for Retail Pharmacy USA segment only (fiscal 2020, ended Aug. 31, 2020). Of that figure, retail front-end sales were $27.22 billion and pharmacy sales were $80.48 billion. Total fiscal 2020 revenue for Walgreens Boots Alliance (including Retail Pharmacy USA, Retail Pharmacy International and Pharmaceutical Wholesale business units) was $139.54 billion.
- Of Target’s overall sales of $92.4 billion in fiscal 2020 (ended Jan. 30, 2021), 20% represented food and beverages and 26% beauty and household essentials, for total supermarket-related sales of $42.5 billion.
- CVS Health sales for Retail Pharmacy/LTC segment only (fiscal 2020, ended Dec. 31, 2020). Retail front-end sales were $19.66 billion and pharmacy sales were $70.18 billion. Overall CVS Health revenue for fiscal 2020 (including the Pharmacy Services, Retail/LTC, Health Care Benefits and Corporate/Other segments) was $268.71 billion.
- Albertsons Cos. reported $5.2 billion in pharmacy sales for fiscal 2020 (ended Feb. 27, 2021), or 7.4% of total net sales, plus fuel sales of $2.23 billion, or 3.2% of overall net sales.
- Ahold Delhaize figures for U.S. only, fiscal year 2020 ended Jan. 3, 2021. Pharmacy and fuel accounted for a combined 3.7% (2.8% Rx) of global net sales.
- An employee-owned company, Publix publicly reports selected financial data but sells its shares only to current employees and board members.
- Alimentation Couche-Tard reported U.S. and Canadian merchandise, services and fuel sales of $43.36 billion (U.S.) for its most recently completed fiscal year (2020, ended April 26, 2020). The total includes $13.22 billion (U.S.) in merchandise and services, and $30.14 billion (U.S.) in fuel.
- Dollar General’s total net sales of $33.75 billion in fiscal 2020 (ended Jan. 29, 2021) include consumables sales of $25.91 billion, seasonal sales of $4.1 billion, home product sales of $2.21 billion and apparel sales of $1.55 billion.
- Loblaw Cos. supermarket-related sales of $33.66 billion in U.S. dollars at 2020 average exchange rate of 0.7462. In Canadian dollars, Loblaw’s supermarket-related sales totaled $45.11 billion, including food retail segment sales and Shoppers Drug Mart front-end sales. Overall, Loblaw Cos. had retail sales of $51.86 billion (Canadian) for its 2020 fiscal year ended Jan. 2, 2021, including food retail sales of $37.6 billion and pharmacy retail segment (Shoppers Drug Mart) sales of $14.26 billion. Shoppers Drug Mart sales include $7.51 billion in front-end sales.
- H-E-B store count includes only U.S. locations
- 7-Eleven Inc. parent Seven & I Holdings Co. Ltd. reported North American revenue from operations of $20.91 billion (2.23 trillion yen) for its fiscal year ended Feb. 28, 2021. Marathon Petroleum reported Speedway merchandise sales of $6.38 billion for the year ended Dec. 31, 2020. Store figure for 2020-21 includes 10,000 U.S. and Canadian 7-Eleven locations and 3,839 Speedway locations.
- Sobeys Inc. figures do not include pending acquisition of Longo’s. The retail arm of parent Empire Co. Ltd., Sobeys reported retail sales of $26.59 billion (Canadian) for its most recently completed fiscal year (2020, ended May 2, 2020). In U.S. dollars, Sobeys’ fiscal 2020 retail sales were $19.84 billion at the 2020 average exchange rate of 0.7462.
- United Natural Foods Inc. (UNFI) sales for 2020 fiscal year ended Aug. 1, 2020. Includes $2.33 billion in retail segment sales from 71 supermarkets under the Cub Foods (52) and Shoppers (19) banners.
- Dollar Tree’s total net sales of $25.51 billion in fiscal 2020 (ended Jan. 30, 2021) include consumables sales of $15.77 billion for Dollar Tree and Family Dollar stores, variety sales of $6.19 billion at Dollar Tree, home product sales of $1.08 billion at Family Dollar, apparel and accessories sales of $690.1 million at Family Dollar, and seasonal and electronics sales of $1.77 billion at Dollar Tree and Family Dollar. Total store count for 2020 includes 7,805 Dollar Tree stores and 7,880 Family Dollar stores.
- Wakefern Food Corp. reported sales of $18.3 billion for its 2020 fiscal year ended Oct. 3, 2020, and $16.6 billion for its 2019 fiscal year ended Sept. 28, 2019.
- Rite Aid sales for Retail Pharmacy Segment only (fiscal 2021, ended Feb. 27, 2021). Of that figure, front-of-store sales were $5.32 billion, and pharmacy sales were $10.92 billion. Rite Aid’s overall fiscal 2021 revenue (including Retail Pharmacy and Pharmacy Services segments) was $24.04 billion.
- BJ’s Wholesale Club net sales exclude membership fee income. Of BJ’s overall net sales of $15.1 billion in fiscal 2020 (ended Jan. 30, 2021), $11.62 billion (77%) came from grocery (perishables, edible and non-edible groceries), $2.11 billion (14%) from general merchandise and services, and $1.36 billion (9%) from fuel and other sales.
- Metro Inc. reported sales of $18 billion (Canadian) for its 2020 fiscal year ended Sept. 26, 2020. In U.S. dollars, Metro’s fiscal 2020 retail sales were $13.43 billion at the 2020 average exchange rate of 0.7462. The company does not break out food and pharmacy sales.
- Associated Wholesale Grocers totaled net sales of $10.63 billion for its 2020 fiscal year ended Dec. 26, 2020, versus $9.67 billion for fiscal 2019. Net sales for AWG’s retail cooperative totaled $9.2 billion in fiscal 2020 versus $8.5 billion in fiscal 2019.
- Southeastern Grocers estimated fiscal 2020 net sales (year ended Dec. 31, 2020) at $9.64 billion, up 16.5% from actual sales of $8.28 billion in fiscal 2019 (year ended Dec. 25, 2019), according to an amended IPO prospectus filed with the SEC on Jan. 21, 2021. Including planned store divestitures, sales were estimated at $8.03 billion for the year ended Dec. 31, 2020, and were $6.67 billion for year ended Dec. 25, 2019.
- SpartanNash figure represents consolidated net sales for 2020 fiscal year ended Jan. 2, 2021. The total includes $4.58 billion in food distribution sales, $2.64 billion in retail supermarket sales and $2.13 billion in military distribution sales.
- Sprouts 2020 sales for fiscal year ended Jan. 3, 2021.
- Price Chopper/Market 32 sales figures exclude planned merger with Tops Friendly Markets.
- Bodega Latina/Chedraui sales figures exclude planned acquisition of Smart & Final.