10. For CBD, 2019 was a year of big growth — and some controversy
MysteryShot/iStock/Getty Images Plus
9. Walmart’s Ashley Buchanan tapped as Michaels CEO
8. SN's 10 most popular stories of 2019
The food retail industry last year turned to supermarketnews.com for news and information about Whole Foods, Aldi and Lidl; about Pathmark's return and King Kullen's sale; and about retail robots and romaine's latest recall.
7. Publix reaches pharmacy milestone
6. Lidl makes Long Island debut
5. Private label has a banner year in 2019
With nearly $60 billion in supermarket sales in 2018, the business for store brands continues to be a significant piece of the grocery pie.
4. Education, transparency led meat & seafood trends in 2019
Certified Angus Beef
An educated consumer is your best protein buyer, as health & wellness and sustainability issues played a bigger role in meat and seafood purchases in 2019. But meat departments are also carefully watching the incursion of plant-based meat alternatives into the grocery store.
3. The biggest trends in center store in 2019
2. 11 retailers that ramped up their foodservice game in 2019
A brand-new food hall for Kroger, Save Mart’s first fast-casual restaurant and a kombucha bar at Jungle Jim’s were among the big stories in retail foodservice last year.
1. H-E-B unveils latest stores in Houston
H-E-B has expanded its presence in the Houston area with the opening of two new supermarkets: a 90,000-square-foot store near the city’s center in the historic MacGregor community and the 102,000-square-foot Harper’s Trace store, located in The Woodlands community just north of Houston.