Gristedes, Met Food, King Kullen, H Mart and other supermarket operators appear to have been high bidders for a limited number of A&P owned stores that went to auction late last week, according to unconfirmed reports from labor unions with workers impacted by the sales.
SN was unable to confirm the information with the company, which is conducting a liquidation of all its stores under a Chapter 11 bankruptcy auction and is under a gag order by the judge overseeing the case.
The auction, which began Thursday in New York, is expected to continue this week.
Winning bidders for the stores would also require approval by the court.
RWDSU/UFCW Local 338, which represents workers at Food Emporium, Food Basics, A&P and Waldbaums stores in New York, published the following list of auctioned stores on its website. The list only includes stores with its workers that went to auction Thursday or Friday. According to the union, 12 of the 29 stores received no bids including Food Emporium’s “Bridgemarket” flagship at 59th Street in Manhattan.
Each item includes banner, store number, address, city and winning bidders:
- A&P, 794, 14 LAKE RIDGE PLAZA, VALLEY COTTAGE, No Bid
- Food Basics, 503, 2185 COYLE STREET, BROOKLYN, Met Foods
- Food Emporium, 703, 1175 THIRD (68th) AVENUE, NEW YORK, Key Food
- Food Emporium 706, 1450 THIRD AVENUE, NEW YORK, Gristedes
- Food Emporium, 707, 969 SECOND AVENUE, NEW YORK, CVS
- Food Emporium, 708, 250 WEST 90TH STREET, NEW YORK, Real Estate Entities
- Food Emporium, 711, 1331 FIRST AVENUE, NEW YORK, Morton Williams
- Food Emporium, 727, 452 WEST 43RD STREET, NEW YORK, Key Food
- Food Emporium, 732, 250 WEST 50TH STREET, NEW YORK, Key Food
- Food Emporium, 742, 1066 THIRD AVENUE, NEW YORK, Morton Williams
- Food Emporium, 777, 316 1/2 GREENWICH STREET, NEW YORK, No Bid
- Food Emporium, 783, 401 E. 59th St., NEW YORK, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 203, 84 JERICHO TURNPIKE, COMMACK, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 214, 1235 VETERANS MEMORIAL HWY, HAUPPAUGE, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 217, 777 PULASKI ROAD, GREENLAWN, Shang Hai Enterprises
- Waldbaum's, 229, 812 MONTAUK HWY, CENTER MORICHES, Key Food
- Waldbaum's, 235, 3100 OCEAN AVENUE, BROOKLYN, Food Partners
- Waldbaum's, 241, 440 W. SUNRISE HWY., NORTH PATCHOGUE, King Kullen
- Waldbaum's, 251, 50 E. HOFFMAN AVE., LINDENHURST, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 256, 5508 SUNRISE HIGHWAY, MASSAPEQUA, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 270, 153-01 10TH AVENUE, WHITESTONE, Real Estate Entities
- Waldbaum's, 275, 133-11 20TH AVENUE, COLLEGE POINT, Wakefern
- Waldbaum's, 277 , 4054 NESCONSET HIGHWAY, EAST SETAUKET, Real Estate Entities
- Waldbaum's, 279, 1686 MERRICK RD., MERRICK, Best Yet
- Waldbaum's, 289, 336 NORTH BROADWAY, JERICHO, H Mart
- Waldbaum's, 434, 1530 FRONT ST., EAST MEADOW, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 601, 2162 NESCONSET HIGHWAY, STONY BROOK, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 617, 40 GREAT NECK ROAD, GREAT NECK, No Bid
- Waldbaum's, 662, 211 MIDDLE COUNTRY ROAD, SELDEN, No Bid
According to UFCW Local 1500, which represents Pathmark workers in New York, half of the 42 stores that employ their workers were sold, with other store auctions designated as “adjouned” — indicating there were no bids or bids were too small to qualify. Those stores will be auctioned again this week. The sold stores include several to landlords, the previously announced transfers to Wakefern Food Corp., Stop & Shop, Morton Williams and Food Bazaar, as well as two stores in Brooklyn going to Manichevitz.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarket News|