CAMDEN, N.J. — Brazilian cuisine, sophisticated sweets, savory yogurt and bolder burgers are among the food trends to watch for in 2014, according to a report from the Campbell Soup Co.’s Culinary & Baking Institute, a global network of chefs, bakers and culinary professionals.
The Institute’s first-ever Culinary TrendScape report identified the following trends:
- Brazilian Cuisine: Rio de Janeiro will bring the country’s seafood stews, grilling techniques and local ingredients into the culinary spotlight when it hosts the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Summer Olympics.
- Food Waste Awareness: Root-to-leaf cooking, repurposing leftovers and composting food scraps at home are all gaining traction with consumers.
- Juicing: Craving better-for-you balance, the health-conscious are “going green” to refresh and recharge.
- Sophisticated Sweets: Spices, botanicals and fresh takes on fruit are hitting the dessert scene.
- Yogurt Goes Savory: Greek-style yogurt is showing up in savory, non-spoonable applications like condiments, baked goods and snacks.
- Beverage-Inspired Flavors: The bar has inspired the kitchen, and barrel-aged, bottled and brewed flavors have moved beyond public house glasses into everything from hot sauces to barbecue.
- Bolder Burgers: America’s iconic sandwich is changing with the times, with new buns, unique burger patty options like chicken, lamb, elk and brisket and a range of toppings.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|