In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Costco paying stockholders a $10-per-share special dividend ranked as the week’s top story. The aggregate payment for the extra dividend was pegged at $4.4 billion. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- Instacart reportedly started planning a $30 billion IPO;
- Winn-Dixie cooked up new concepts in its latest Florida stores; and
- Amazon entered the prescription-drug market with Amazon Pharmacy.
In other news, Ahold Delhaize announced plans to buy online grocer FreshDirect, Albertsons started accepting SNAP EBT payment for curbside-pickup orders and online grocery continued to be a mainstay for COVID-concerned consumers, according to an Oracle Grocery Retail survey.
Other top stories:
- Hy-Vee said it would hire 10,000 workers to prepare for the holiday rush;
- C&S Wholesale and SpartanNash CEOs were among FMI’s new board members; and
- Walmart doubled its personal-shopper count for the holiday season.