In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Walmart beginning COVID-19 vaccinations in 22 states ranked as the week’s top story. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- The Giant Company and Wakefern began to pursue more sustainable retailing;
- Food Lion launched SNAP EBT payment for Instacart orders; and
- Price Chopper CEO Scott Grimmett and Tops Markets CEO Frank Curci spoke with Supermarket News about the merger of the two upstate New York grocery chains.
In other news, Aldi announced plans to open 100 new stores and add 500 curbside pickup sites in 2021; Cub Foods reopened a store damaged in Minneapolis during last year’s protests; and Giant Food completed a successful COVID vaccine pilot program in Maryland.
Other top stories:
- Price Chopper/Market 32 and Tops Markets announced their merger;
- Walmart stepped up reusable plastic container packaging for fresh produce; and
- GreenWise Market made its office tower debut.