In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Walmart leveraging its scale to distribute COVID-19 vaccines ranked as the week’s top story. Other grocery chains also stepped up their efforts to expand vaccinations. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- The eighth Amazon Fresh supermarket was set to open its doors this week;
- Southeastern Grocers launched its IPO; and
- Kroger tested a “smart” shopping cart from Caper.
In other news, The Giant Company launched the Choice Pass online grocery subscription, Publix extended its COVID-19 vaccination rollout to South Carolina, and Meijer said it would highlight vendors in its virtual Localization Summit.
Other top stories:
- FMI-The Food Industry Association and the National Grocers Association gave welcome to the new Biden administration;
- Lidl offered extra pay to U.S. workers receiving the COVID-19 vaccine; and
- Acme Markets celebrated its 130th anniversary with a hunger relief fund.