Coborn’s Inc. took home top honors as Supervalu recognized the best marketing efforts of its independent retailers in the 2014 Master Marketer competition, awarded Wednesday during Supervalu’s national sales show in St. Cloud, Minn. Coborn’s, based in St. Cloud, Minn., was named the 2014 Grand Master Marketer for its comprehensive marketing campaigns over the past year.
“The Master Marketer recognizes the best of the best when it comes to our independent retailers’ advertising and marketing campaigns,” Janel Haugarth, EVP, and president of independent business and supply chain services at Supervalu, said. “Our independent business customers set the standard when it comes to serving their customers, and we are excited to recognize and celebrate those achievements with them this week.”
This year, the competition included more than 450 entries, with 20 winners selected across 10 marketing categories. Each category includes a Tier 1 and Tier 2 winner, with each tier based on size and volume of the company’s business. In addition to the category winners, an overall Master Marketer for each tier was selected, with Boyer's Foods of Pennsylvania taking home Tier 1 honors and Sentry Foods from Wisconsin receiving Tier 2’s top recognition.
Each winner is automatically entered into the National Grocers Association's Creative Choice awards, which is presented at the industry's annual conference each February.
The full list of winners across all categories, is as follows:
- Extra Effort Advertising – Tier 1: C&K Markets/Ray's Food Place, Ore. - Lunchbox Giveaway
- Extra Effort Advertising – Tier 2: Sentry Foods, SE & Central Wis. - Best Meat in Town
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Tier 1: Ken's New Market, Cynthiana & Paris, Ky. - 34th Anniversary
- Grand Opening/Anniversary – Tier 2: Landis Market, Telford, Pa. - 75th Anniversary
- Public Service/Community – Tier 1: Foster's Food Fair IGA, Grand Cayman, BWI - Food Bank, Health Fair
- Public Service/Community – Tier 2: Shop 'n Save, Pa. - S.E.E.D Program
- Fresh Departments – Tier 1: Al's Lakeshore Foods, Mich. - Lobstermania
- Fresh Departments – Tier 2: Coborn's, Princeton, Minn. - Easy as 1-2-3
- Center Store Departments – Tier 1: Western Market, Rocky Ridge, Vestavia Hills, Ala. - Warehouse Sale
- Center Store Departments – Tier 2: Mackenthun's Fine Foods, Waconia, Minn. - Gluten Free
- Website/Social Media – Tier 1: Wyatt's Supervalu, Falmouth, Ky.
- Website Social Media – Tier 2: Wayfield Foods, Atlanta, Ga. - Wayfield Website
- Private Brands – Tier 1: Boyer's Food Markets, Pa. - Mrs. B's Pie Extravaganza
- Private Brands – Tier 2: Remke Markets, Erlanger, Ky. - 10 Cent Wednesdays
- Industry Promotions – Tier 1: Handy Foods IGA, Ottawa, Ill. - Ribfest
- Industry Promotions – Tier 2: McCaffrey's Supermarket, Princeton, N.J. - Nutella
- Radio Spots – Tier 1: Tatsuda's IGA, Ketchikan, Ark.
- Radio Spots – Tier 2: Dissmore's IGA, Pullman, Wash. – Steak Place
- TV Commercials – Tier 1: Springfield Market, Richardton, N.D.
- TV Commercials – Tier 2: Skogen's Festival Foods, Wis. - Fresh Flight Fish
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|