During its annual conference held virtually last week, premium beef brand Certified Angus Beef recognized leading retailers for product quality, marketing and sales, with Massachusetts grocery chain DeMoulas Market Basket taking home the honor of Retailer of the Year.
“Market Basket offered the beef in weekly flyers, social media and on the website,” said Certified Angus Beef in announcing the award. “A summer promotion, television advertising and easy meal solutions helped the retailer also receive Top Retail Average Volume Per Store award for more than 10 stores.”
As more shoppers made meals at home this year, retailers offering Certified Angus Beef cuts engaged shoppers with social conversations, weekly product features, time-saving meals, in-store promotions and online engagement opportunities.
“Our retailers want customers to know they have the best beef,” said David O’Diam, Certified Angus Beef vice president of retail. “Social media and weekly ads draw shoppers to the meat case, deli or online store and that’s where these retailers excel at offering the right cuts and new meal ideas.”
Other retail honorees from the Certified Angus Beef event include:
- ShopRite, Edison, N.J., earned Retail Brand Extension Marketer of the Year. In its 25th year offering the best beef in stores, ShopRite elevated promotions for and customer interest in Certified Angus Beef Prime. The beef cuts are offered in weekly ads and in social media.
- Giant Eagle, Pittsburgh, was named the Retail Value-added Products Marketer of the Year. Giant Eagle added easy meal options for customers, featuring the items in ads and dedicating a cooler to the sausages, frankfurters, gourmet burgers, beef bacon, marinated steaks and kabobs. The retailer also marked 30 years of offering the branded beef to shoppers.
- MDI/Merchant Distributors, Hickory, N.C., received Retail Distributor Marketer of the Year. MDI helped independent stores elevate their beef offerings and marketing. Staff training and food shows also expanded customer service and solutions.
- Longo’s, Ontario, Canada, received Retail E-commerce Marketer of the Year. Offering a full selection of fresh cuts, ground beef and convenient meals in store and online helped Longo’s also achieve Top Sales Volume Small Chain Retailer.
- Southeastern Grocers, Jacksonville, Fla., received Retail Rising Star–Large Chain for advertising, social media and meat department training that engage shoppers at Harvey’s, Fresco Y Más and Winn-Dixie stores. Winn-Dixie also achieved the Top Sales Volume Increase, the largest of any retailer for the brand this year.
- Adams Hometown Markets, Chesire, Conn., was named the Retail Rising Star–Small Chain. Social media posts, weekly product promotions and holiday roast giveaways engaged shoppers. Staff training and a meat team contest also elevated conversations with customers and service.
- Fresh Thyme Market, Downers Grove, Ill., received Retail Rookie of the Year for a comprehensive approach to training, custom point-of-sale materials, Steakholder Rewards and e-commerce.
- Jumbo Foods, Enid, Okla., was named the Independent Retail Marketer of the Year. The retailer excelled at reaching shoppers with frequent social media posts and custom point-of-sale materials.
- Roche Brothers, Mansfield, Mass., was recognized as the Retail Marketer of the Year–Small Chain. The Steakholder Rewards loyalty program, holiday roast promotion and staff training amplify advertising for the brand’s Prime and Natural cuts, as well as easy meal solutions. This is the chain’s 35th year offering Certified Angus Beef to shoppers.
- New York Butcher Shoppe, Greenville, S.C., received Specialty Store Marketer of the Year. Each southeast location offers a selection of Certified Angus Beef Prime and ready-made meals for customers. Social media, custom signage and roasting tips appeal to shoppers.
Additionally, these retailers and distributors were recognized for leading Certified Angus Beef product sales:
- Meijer, Grand Rapids, Mich. – Top Sales Volume Large Chain Retailer
- DeKalb Farmers Market, Decatur, Ga. – Top Sales Volume Single Store Retailer
- El Rancho Market, Phoenix, Ariz. – Top Retail Average Volume Per Store - Less than 10 stores
- Amigos Meat, Chicago – Top Sales Volume Retail Distributor
- Topco Associates, Elk Grove Village, Ill. – Top Sales Volume Cooperative