In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Ahold Delhaize USA's launch of the first of six distribution centers with integrated self-distribution ranked as the week’s top story. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- Target adds $15 billion to top line in fiscal 2020
- Lidl to enact $15 starting hourly wage in Philadelphia
- Albertsons Cos.’ Safeway tests automated grocery delivery cart
Two new executive changes were made this week. After more than 42 years at The Kroger Co., Chief Operating Officer Mike Donnelly plans to retire this spring. Jeff Main has also joined Festival Foods as vice president of information technology.
New store openings were seen at both BJ's Wholesale Club and Sprouts Farmers Market. BJ's Wholesale Club opened four new locations in fiscal 2020 and is looking at potentially six new openings in 2021. Sprouts Farmers Market also plans to open 20 new stores in 2021.
Other top stories:
- UNFI re-ups primary distribution pact with Whole Foods
- Southeastern Grocers to increase supplier diversity