In this week’s recap of the Top 10 most popular Supermarket News articles, Hy-Vee's new 'reimagined' grocery store was ranked as the week’s top story. Situated in Grimes, Iowa, the new store features a food hall, pub, digital technology and in-store shops that create a different kind of supermarket in the Des Moines metropolitan area. Among other stories in this week’s gallery:
- Kroger joins Buy Safe America Coalition
- Giant Eagle aims to ‘extend aisles’ in online marketplace
- U.S. online grocery sales swing back up in August
- Boxed looks to license e-commerce technology internationally
In other news, Walmart is working with Ford Motor Co. and autonomous vehicle developer Argo AI to launch a self-driving vehicle delivery service in three major metropolitan markets.
The last-mile delivery service — slated for in Miami; Austin, Texas; and Washington, D.C. — will use Ford driverless test vehicles equipped with the Argo AI Self-Driving System to deliver Walmart online orders to customers, Dearborn, Mich.-based Ford said.
Other top stories:
- Meijer set to open Rivertown Market
- H-E-B opens jewelry store-within-a-store
- FMI sizes up pandemic’s financial impact on food retailers
- Kroger, Instacart team up on ‘virtual convenience store’