Yet again, in this gallery of the Top 10 move popular stories here, the coronavirus pandemic dominates the news as food retailers continue to take steps to help shoppers, suppliers and the bottom line.
Several companies reported strong sales in recent weeks:
- Albertsons comp sales jump 47% in March after strong fiscal 2019 close
- Amazon’s physical store sales rebound in Q1 amid pandemic
- Publix first-quarter comp sales rise more than 14%
Safety was the on the minds of many in the supermarket world:
- In retail, shoppers feel safest from COVID-19 at supermarkets
- Stop & Shop customers star in new COVID-19 safe shopping campaign
- Whole Foods puts seniors and at-risk customers first with online grocery pickup
The connection of COVID-19 to various supermarket food categories was also making headlines:
- Frozen foods become ‘sales powerhouse’ during coronavirus pandemic
- Kroger expands Dairy Rescue Program to redirect surplus milk
- Tyson warns ‘the food supply chain is breaking’
And one employment article shows just how much the pandemic has upended consumer shopping behavior:
- Instacart aims to add 250,000 more personal shoppers
Click through the slideshow for links to these articles.