NEW YORK — A panel of retailers, manufacturers, distributors and Specialty Food Association representatives have selected SFA’s Outstanding Retailers of 2013.
Winners are recognized for customer service, sourcing, merchandising and a commitment to local community. They are:
- Feast! — A store and café in Charlottesville, Va. that showcases local products. Owners Kate Collier and Eric Gertner started Local Food Hub, a non-profit focused on local food distribution from farmers.
- Lazy Acres Market — The Santa Barbara, Calif. specialty food retailer owned by Bristol Farms, is known for house-made organic breads and a vast organic produce selection.
- Oliver’s Market — With three locations in Sonoma Country, Calif., Oliver’s has a major focus on local produce from 300 farms, ranches and manufacturers, and an extensive cheese and wine selection.
- Shady Maple Farm Market — With roots as a roadside stand in Lancaster, Pa., this supermarket features a smokehouse which turns out 100 meats, cheeses and fish items each week.
- Sweet Grass Dairy Cheese Shop — Cheeses, imported meats, local products and a partnership with the Georgia Conservancy distinguish this family-owned shop in Thomasville, Ga.