Only one in three A&P stores that went up for auction last week came back with bids, the retailer revealed in a document filed with U.S. Bankruptcy Court late Monday.
Of the 108 stores in the first auction, 36 received winning bids, and if approved by the court would divide the base among 21 entities including supermarkets, landlords and other investors. Remaining stores, which either received no bids or offers that didn’t meet minimum thresholds, will go to a second auction scheduled Thursday in New York.
SN reported some of the winning bidders revealed by unions on Monday.
The filing indicates that Key Food Stores Co-operative, the Staten Island, N.Y.-based co-op, would gain eight new locations, including a 50th Street and 8th Avenue location in Midtown Manhattan that was expected to go to Morton Williams Supermarkets. Key Food was also listed as the top bidder for sites in Center Moriches, Mattituck, Port Chester and Bedford, N.Y., as well as Manhattan (Food Emporium stores at 1175 Third Ave. and 452 West 43rd St.); and Staten Island (Greaves Lane). The Key Food bids are in addition to a package of 16 stores included in a stalking horse bid scheduled to go to auction Thursday.
Fransula Foods, a Charlotte, N.C.-based operator of Compare Foods stores, would be the next largest gainer, getting sites in Passaic, N.J., Paterson, N.J., and Brooklyn (Ocean Avenue). Bidders winning two stores each include Tawa Inc., operator of the 99 Ranch Asian chain (Edison, N.J., and Jersey City, N.J.); Best Yet Market, backed by A&P supplier C&S Wholesale Grocers (Merrick, N.Y., and Westhampton Beach, N.Y.; CVS (Manhattan-969 Second Ave.; and Yonkers, N.Y.) and Morton Williams, winning bids for Food Emporium sites at 1066 Third Ave. and 1331 First Ave. in Manhattan.
Other two-site bid winners were shopping center developer Brixmor and a group identified as Manischevitz Family LLC, taking two Pathmark sites in Brooklyn.
Other retailers placing winning bids in the first round were BX&M Foods (Belleville, N.J.); Foodtown operator Estevez Markets (Old Tapan, N.J.); K.A.M. Foods, operator of Asian chain Kam Man Foods (Brooklyn, N.Y.- Coyle Street); ShopRite operator Wakefern Food Corp. (College Point, N.Y.); HMart (Jericho, N.Y.); Gristedes — identified as Food Emporium Acquisition — Manhattan-East 83rd Street); King Kullen (North Patchougue, N.Y.); and Stop & Shop (Mount Kisco, N.Y.).
Among the stores not receiving a qualified offer was the Ralph Avenue Waldbaums site in Brooklyn that Fairway officials had said would be the site of their next store. A spokesman for Fairway Group Holdings reached last week declined comment on the company’s for that site.
The filing did not reveal prices of the stores that were bid on but did identify back-up bidders: C&S’s Best Yet Market was most active there, with seven back-up bids.
Following is an updated list of the stores, locations and winning bidders from the first auction:
- A&P, Old Tappan, N.J., Estevez Markets Inc.
- A&P, Mount Kisco, N.Y., Stop & Shop
- A&P, Yonkers, N.Y., CVS
- Food Basics, Belleville, N.J., BX&M Food Corp.
- Food Basics, East Patterson, N.J., Fransula Foods (Compare Foods)
- Food Basics, Passaic, N.J., Fransula Foods
- Food Basics, Brooklyn-Coyle St., K.A.M. Foods (Kam Man Foods)
- Food Emporium, Bedford, N.Y., Key Food
- Food Emporium, New York – 1175 3rd Ave., Key Food
- Food Emporium, New York- 1450 3rd Ave.
- Food Emporium, Acquisition (Gristedes)
- Food Emporium, New York – 969 2nd Ave., CVS
- Food Emporium, New York – 2415 Broadway, AF Norwich LLC
- Food Emporium, New York - 452 West 43rd, Key Food
- Food Emporium, New York - 1331 1st Ave., Morton Williams
- Food Emporium, New York – 1066 3rd Ave., Morton Williams
- Food Emporium, New York – 810 8th Ave., Key Food
- Pathmark, Edison, N.J., Tawa Inc. (99 Ranch)
- Pathmark, Jersey City, N.J., Tawa Inc.
- Pathmark, Bayshore, N.Y., Saxon Sunrise Realty
- Pathmark, Brooklyn – 61st St., Manischevitz Family LLC
- Pathmark, Brooklyn – 12th St., Manischevitz Family LLC
- Pathmark, New York – 207th St., 410 W. 207th Acquisition LLC
- Pathmark, Port Chester, N.Y., Key Food
- Pathmark, Staten Island – Greaves La., Key Food
- Pathmark, Yonkers, N.Y., Brixmor
- Waldbaums, Brooklyn – Ocean Ave., Fransula Foods
- Waldbaums, College Point, N.Y., Wakefern Food Corp.
- Waldbaums, Center Moriches, N.Y., Key Food
- Waldbaums, East Setaucket, N.Y., Brixmor
- Waldbaums, Greenlawn, N.Y., Shanghai Enterprises
- Waldbaums, Jericho, N.Y., HMart
- Waldbaums, Mattituck, N.Y., Key Food
- Waldbaums, Merrick, N.Y., Best Yet Market
- Waldbaums, North Patchougue, N.Y., King Kullen
- Waldbaums, West Hampton, N.Y., Best Yet Market
- Waldbaums, Whitestone, N.Y., Feil Whitestone LLC
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarket News|