BALTIMORE — A Hannaford Bros. supermarket in Turner, Maine, received the “Best of the Best” award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s GreenChill Partnership as the top store to be certified under the program in the past year.
The award recognizes the store for using a first-in-the nation refrigeration system that the chain says is far better for the environment than conventional systems. Hannaford received the award – one of several annual recognitions offered by GreenChill — during a presentation at the FMI Energy & Store Development Conference here.
The new Turner Hannaford store, which opened in July, is the first supermarket in the U.S. to cool and freeze food with a system that uses only carbon dioxide as a refrigerant. The natural coolant eliminates the risk to the ozone layer and significantly reduces the store’s climate impacts, Hannaford said.
“Our company is proud of the work done by the Engineering team by bringing this CO2 refrigeration system to Hannaford because it represents one more way for us to keep costs and prices down for customers while we help safeguard the environment,” said George Parmenter, manager of sustainability for Hannaford, which is a division of Salisbury, N.C.-based Delhaize America.
The GreenChill Partnership also recently certified the store at the rarely achieved “platinum” level.
Read more: Hannaford Plans First CO2-Only Refrigeration
Follow @SN_News for updates throughout the day.
Several other companies were also recognized by the EPA GreenChill Partnership for their efforts, including:
• Superior Goal Achievement — Food Lion, Hy-Vee, King Kullen, Price Chopper, Stater Bros., and Weis Markets.
• Exceptional Goal Achievement — King Kullen.
• Most Improved Emissions Rate — Price Chopper (year-to-year improvement), and McQuade’s Marketplace (improvement since baseline year).
• Best Emissions Rate — Stater Bros.
• Store Certification Excellence/Supermarket Partner — Sprouts Farmers Market.
• Store Certification Excellence/Non-Supermarket Partner — Hillphoenix.
• Store Re-Certification Excellence/Supermarket Partner — Raley’s, Petaluma, Calif.
• Distinguished Partner — Ronald Vogl of Honeywell, and Weis Markets.
|Suggested Categories||More from Supermarketnews|