FreshDirect announced today its 2024 food trend insights which range from flavor and function to sustainability and influence. FreshDirect’s expert merchant team of category specialists has curated the annual list which reveals what’s new in industry innovation and customer preferences.
FreshDirect’s top 5 trends for 2024 include:
- The Upside to upcycling: Tackling food waste — Customers want to reduce their food waste at every step of their meal. In 2024, that will mean purchasing food that is made with usable food scraps, in other words, upcycling. From product off the shelf to prepared foods and meal kits, waste is not on the menu. Products across a variety of categories making creative use of upcycled food scraps will be in higher demand
- Beyond the shelf: The rise of DEI in the grocery sector — The impact of proper Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) representation resonates with consumers, enhancing brand loyalty and trust. The growing movement of integrating DEI into the selection and representation of products, not just in the grocery space, but across multiple industries, underscores a fundamental shift in consumer preferences and expectations. This paradigm reflects the awareness that our grocery choices extend beyond mere consumption; they echo our values, beliefs, and commitment to a harmonious, equitable world
- Greens, eggs, and ham: Sustainability in farming practices — The contemporary food landscape is prioritizing sustainability, and as customers look for ways to make a positive impact through their grocery choices, they seek to support sustainable practices in as many ways as possible. Outdoor fruit harvests have become increasingly unpredictable due to climate change, which is why strawberries grown indoors are consistently popular among customers. Many growers utilize indoor farming to sustainably produce greenhouse-grown fruits and vegetables for urban areas. With the success of indoor farming this year, expect more companies to offer indoor-grown produce. Regenerative agriculture is also in the forefront of sustainable efforts, with customers showing preference toward regeneratively grown meat
- Following your gut: The power of functional beverages — As customers seek products that are highly nutritious, they have also expressed a desire for beverage products that go beyond nutrition. Beverage purveyors are stepping up to meet heightened consumer demands, crafting products like better-for-you energy drinks tailored to wellness enthusiasts. As digestive well-being gains prominence, the market sees the rise of probiotic offerings. Prebiotic sodas with immunity boosting properties are also increasing in popularity
- Pass the dip, Spread the flavor: Embracing small plates — It’s no secret that everyone likes a good spread. Premium tinned seafood, snacking cheeses, and specialty dips have been huge growth drivers this past year and will continue to gain popularity as folks come together and look for easy, nutritious ways to satisfy their party guests