Sponsored by Date Check Pro
The modern consumer cares about sustainability, and wants to see it in practice and in action. In 2020, Date Check Pro asked a set of consumers whether or not their primary grocery store had sustainability programs in place (that they were aware of), and how they learned about said programs. Interestingly, 51.4% of respondents answered that yes, their primary grocer has a sustainability program in place; meaning the other 48.6% said no, there was no program of which they were aware. In our own research, we discovered that in truth, 85% of the grocery stores shopped at by these respondents had some sort of sustainability program in place. What contributing factors may have resulted in this discrepancy? Grocery stores with sustainability initiatives want consumers to be aware of them—how can retailers avoid this confusion?
Grocers understand the importance of physical and digital ads. The same principles that apply to product advertising should apply to sustainability advertising: Where product ads may focus on sales and value while appealing to customer loyalty and lifestyle, sustainability visibility can do the same. Sustainability initiatives appeal to consumers who care about sustainable practices in their own life and in venues where they spend their time and money. A grocer showing a visible commitment to sustainability will keep consumers engaged, and returning.
Signage, incentivization, and education are all great ways to promote a retailer’s participation in sustainable practices; and, in turn, can motivate individual consumers to take up their own part in the cause for a more sustainable future. One section of our 2020 survey asked what type of physical or digital advertisements would alert a consumer to the existence of a sustainability program. In-store signage, social media, and TV ads topped the results.
The in-store shopping experience is perhaps the most immediate and critical place for a consumer to encounter sustainability. Making sustainable products obvious, utilizing ecolabels, and displaying in-store reminders or incentives for using reusable bags at checkout are all fairly simple ways to increase sustainable visibility. Advertising through social media, TV, and radio ads remain high on the list as well, and these venues can be strong audiovisual methods of communicating sustainability. Social media in particular offers a versatile landscape in which to innovate and play with making sustainability visual.
Remember: A sustainable retailer benefits the planet, the consumer, and the business. Not only do sustainable practices save money and the environment, but visible and clear practices increase the chances of a consumer remaining loyal to a brand.
Learn how sustainability affects consumer trends in 2020 and beyond by downloading our e-book report on a 2020 Consumer Survey, Taking Stock of 2020: What Grocery Retailers Need to Know About Post-Pandemic Consumer Trends.
In this e-book, you will learn about:
- Changes in Consumer Behavior: COVID-19
- Embracing the Future of Omnichannel Shopping
- Sustainability: What Consumers Expect & How Retailers Can Meet Expectations
- In-Store Shopping vs. Online Shopping: How the Management of Expired Foods Impacts the Consumer Experience