Sponsored by Tyson Velocity
Shoppers say dinner is the most important meal of the day, but they also admit when the clock is ticking into the later afternoon and there’s no dinner plan, deli rarely enters into their consideration sets.
According to Eric LeBlanc, director of channel marketing, deli, at Tyson Foods, Inc. “Shoppers may not count on prepared foods for dinner time because they think of the department as a random assortment of products instead of a convenient way to create a satisfying meal experience. They might hope deli will provide the meal they wish they could prepare, but what they often get is a cart full of items that don’t resemble anything they would cook or be proud to serve.”
Did you know?
• Dinnertime has a deep emotional connection for shoppers and their desire to have a satisfying experience with friends and family – more so than any other mealtime.
• The deli category does not register in the consideration set for the 4pm question: what’s for dinner?
• The deli prepared chicken category is a $4B category that continues to grow and is the anchor for most prepared foods departments.
• Rotisserie chicken is a $1.5B product category.
• 25% of the total shopper population shop the retail deli prepared section of the store. Awareness of this section of the store is very low.
• Proud to serve is the key driver of purchases when it comes to prepared foods; innovations, product selection, and price cuts are not the main concern of deli shoppers.
Why should deli be consigned as the department of last resort dinner decisions? Instead, let’s inspire shoppers to think of prepared foods as the go-to place for easy recipes and ideas to create quick and satisfying meals. It’s time to reposition deli as the beginning of a meaningful relationship with dinner again.
At Tyson Foods, we have a new way of approaching the deli and the opportunities we have as retailers and suppliers to change the conversation. Connect with us to find out more at www.TysonVelocity.com/ChangingTheConversation.
1) Tyson Foods, Emotional Trigger Study, 2017
2) Tyson Foods, On the Go Study, 2015
3) Nielsen Perishables Group, 2017
4) Tyson Foods, Attitudes and Usage Study, 2015
5) Tyson Foods, Awareness, Trial, Repurchase, 2016